Congregation of St. Anne, Bangalore
The Sisters of St Anne are driven by their mission to impart the gospel values and transmit the love of Jesus Christ among the less privileged by sharing human and material resources. The congregation takes pride in tracing its origin to late Rt.Rev.Msgr. Stephen Louis Charbonnaux, who was then the first Vicar Apostolic (1850-1873) of the Mysore Mission, with is headquarters in Bangalore. Being convinced of the paramount importance of Catholic education for children, he put together one of his long cherished plans of starting a religious community for the locals of all castes. He and placed his vocation under the patronage of St. Anne and thus the congregation of the Sisters of St. Anne Bangalore, came to being in 1857 in the premises of Good Shepherd Convent, Bangalore.
The Congregation, though at first intended to be only an auxiliary to the good shepherd Sisters, took to catechising local children in schools and orphanages as their main apostolate. They were deeply engaged in this apostolate and were entrusted the responsibility of starting a school in the parish of St. Mary’s, Black pally. They took up this mission with fifteen pupils. Their dedicated service was greatly appreciated by the people and the diocese and the congregation was encouraged to carry out their apostolate on a wider scale. They branched out in Mysore (1864), in Bellary (1868) and in Rangoon in 1924. They served at St. Martha’s Hospital, Bangalore in 1886 and St. Michael’s Convent, Karwar in 1922 where they took care of the hospitalised and orphaned.
The Indian Congregation of the Sisters of St Anne was canonically erected into an autonomous congregation as on 21st November1959 and was later raised to the status of a Religious Institute of Pontifical Right in 1992. The congregation was further grouped into provinces and vice provinces for a more effective administration and foster its commitment of selfless service.
Our sisters of St Anne, Bangalore came to the Parish of St Anthony, Vakola in 2006 and ever since have been adding value to this parish through their dedicated service. They are actively involved in parish activities such as Small Christian Communities, lectors, teaching catechism and the distribution of Holy Communion in church and to the sick, homebound.